Twenty-three Medieval Psalms by Mikolaj Gomolka and Jan Kochanowski, composed in 1580.
Recorded in Sapieja Palace, Warsaw, April 1996. Performed by Ars Nova, The Warsaw Music Society's medieval instruments ensemble.
We know quite a lot about his life, especially when compared to other composers. He was born in Sandomierz in 1535, in a townspeople family. At the age of 10, Gomolka was introduced to the court of king Zygmunt August, where he received his music education and played in royal music ensemble. He left the court in year 1563, and in 1566 went back to his home town, Sandomierz, and got married. Gomolka played a significant role in political life of the city, as a member (1567) and head (1572) of the city council. In years 1590-1591 he stayed with his son in a court of Jan Zamoyski. The date of his death isn't certain, it is only suspected that Gomolka died in Jazlowiec, on 5th March 1609.
In 1580 in Krakow, Mikolaj Gomolka published Melodie na Psalterz polski - a complete work of melodies to all of the 150 psalms. This is probably his only published (and certainly the only known) musical work, but a very important one. It was made to the translations of psalms from Latin to Polish, done by Jan Kochanowski, certainly the most renowned Polish poet of Renaissance. The compositions gained a big popularity, especially among school choirs and instrumental groups. The compositions are usually simple and easy to perform; it was the intention of Gomolka to make them easy enough to be performed not only by skilled musicians.
1. Psalm 47 Kleszczmy rekoma wszyscy zgodliwie
2. Psalm 46 Bog wszechmocny, Bog prawdziwy
3. Psalm 118 Chwalcie Pana prze dobroc Jego niewymowna
4. Psalm 134 Teraz, o wierni Panscy sluzebnicy
5. Psalm 11 Panu ja ufam, a wy mowicie: miedzy gory
6. Psalm 22 Boze, czemus mie, czemus mie, moj wieczny
7. Psalm 26 Panie, uczyn sad o mnie, a tam ujzrzysz moje
8. Psalm 28 Krolu niebieski, zdrowie dusze mojej
9. Psalm 30 Bede Cie wielbil, moj Panie
10. Psalm 76 Znaczny jest Bog w zydowskiej krainie
11. Psalm 137 Siedzac na niskich brzegach babilonskiej wody
12. Psalm 64 Boze litosciwy
13. Psalm 117 Wszelki narod, wszelkie plemie
14. Psalm 45b Serce mi kaze spiewac panu swemu
15. Psalm 16 O, ktory siedzisz na wysokim niebie
16. Psalm 142b Pana wolam, Pana prosze
17. Psalm 20 Wsiadaj z dobrym sercem, o krolu cnotliwy
18. Psalm 41 Szczęsliwy, ktory ludzi upadlych ratuje
19. Psalm 103 Blogoslaw, duszo moja, Panu swojemu
20. Psalm 97 Pan nasz, Bog nasz panuje!
21. Psalm 81 Radujcie sie Bogu nawyzszemu
22. Psalm 138 Ciebie ja chwalic bede, Ciebie przed moznemi
23. Psalm 29 Niescie chwale, mocarze, Panu mocniejszemu